Korean Placement Test Information
Korean Language Placement Test
(Access to results is located below the general information presented here.)
If you have no previous knowledge of Korean and want to start Korean studies at Northwestern, register for KOREAN 111-1 (offered in Summer and in Fall, 2021).
Who needs to take the Korean placement test?
- Students who want to use Korean to satisfy the Weinberg and the School of Communication’s two-year foreign requirement.
- Students who have prior knowledge in one of speaking, listening, reading or writing skills of Korean and want to study Korean at Northwestern.
- Students who have come back from study abroad and need to be placed into the appropriate level of Korean.
- Students who have transferred from other universities and continue to take Koran at Northwestern.
The above apply to all students in all schools and programs, including graduate and professional schools.
What will the Korean placement test look like?
There are two forms/parts in the placement test: (1) Online test and (2) Validation test.
- The online placement test consists of four sections: vocabulary, grammar, reading and listening.
How do you take the Korean placement test?
Both parts of the placement test will be only available at designated times. You can choose the best time for you. For the first part, go to the online test https://placement.madstudio.northwestern.edu/ on one of the designated dates to log in and begin a test. Once you enter the test, you have to finish it within 2 hours. You cannot re-enter it since you are allowed to take the test only once. Your initial results, when posted will show as “Validation Required” on the results page at the site since the validation test is required to complete the placement process. The validation test (the second part) must be taken via Zoom on the designated dates.
When will the Korean placement test take place?
The test schedule includes two testing periods:
- First Placement and Validation Session
Incoming students should take the placement test by June 4th. Also, returning students are encouraged to take the placement test by this deadline to ensure the test results earlier for planning fall schedules. All times listed below are CDT.
- June 14, June 15, June 16
- Second Placement and Validation Session
Late test takers should take the online test and the validation test scheduled as below. All times listed below are CDT.
- Online test dates: August 23, August 24, August 25, August 26
- September 2, September 3
The placement result is valid for one year. You may take the test only once a year.
Placement for winter 2022: By appointment only.
Please contact Dr. Ihnhee Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org, 847-491-2767), the Korean placement coordinator.