Korean Placement Test Information
Korean Language Placement Test 2020-2021
(Access to results is located below the general information presented here.)
If you have no previous knowledge of Korean and want to start Korean studies at Northwestern, register for KOREAN 111-1 (offered only in fall).
Who needs to take the Korean placement test?
- Students who want to use Korean to satisfy the Weinberg and the School of Communication’s two-year foreign requirement.
- Students who have prior knowledge in one of speaking, listening, reading or writing skills of Korean and want to study Korean at Northwestern.
- Students who have come back from study abroad and need to be placed into the appropriate level of Korean.
- Students who have transferred from other universities and continue to take Koran at Northwestern.
The above apply to all students in all schools and programs, including graduate and professional schools.
What will the Korean placement test look like?
There are two forms/parts in the placement test: (1) Online test and (2) Validation test.
- The online placement test consists of four sections: vocabulary, grammar, reading and listening.
- The validation test consists of two parts: writing and oral interview.
How do you take the Korean placement test?
The online test http://placement.madstudio.northwestern.edu/ will be only available at designated time. You can choose the best time for you:
- Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. CST or,
- Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. CST or,
- Thursday, August 27, 2020, 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. CST
Once you enter the test, you have to finish it within 2 hours since you cannot enter it again and you are allowed to take the test only once. After the online test is evaluated, most results will initially show “Validation Required” since the validation test is required to complete the placement process.
The validation (writing and speaking test) will be offered via Zoom on the following dates, and I will assign the date for you:
- Tuesday, September 1, 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. CST or
- Wednesday, September 2, 4:00 p.m. –6:00 p.m. CST
Be sure to bring a picture ID to the test, and have your Northwestern ID handy as well.
The placement result is valid for one year. You may take the test only once a year.
Placement for winter 2021: By appointment only.
Please contact Dr. Ihnhee Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org, 847-491-2767), the Korean placement coordinator.