German Placement Test Information
Taking the Departmental Placement Test
The German Placement exam is an online exam that you can take at any time. It h
- Deadline for incoming students to take online placement test: June 11th 2022
- you will be notified for the first validation/reassessment session between June 14th-18th
- Deadline for late acceptance and transfer students to take online placement test: August 27th 2022
- you will be notified for the second validation/reassessment session: September 1-3
The German Placement Exam will place a student in the appropriate German class from which he/she will begin work towards fulfilling the German Language Requirement.
Based on the results of the Northwestern German Placement Exam, the German department will place students into one of the following classes:
- 101-1 (First Year German, first quarter, taught in the Fall)
- 101-2 (First Year German, second quarter, taught in the Winter)
- 102-1 (Second Year German, first quarter, taught in the Fall)
- 102-2 (Second Year German, second quarter, taught in the Winter)
- 102-3 (Second Year German, third quarter, taught in the Spring); or
- one of the following classes:
- 205 Focus Writing;
- 221-3 Introduction to German Literature.
Students with inconclusive results (for example a low placement exam score despite several years of language instruction or a sufficiently high score to pass the Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement) will be asked to take a short follow-up oral exam (German Proficiency Validation Exam) to ensure proper placement.
Students are not allowed to enroll in a lower class than what they were placed in because they will essentially repeat work they have done at the high school level and they will NOT be given credit for the class. Student can, however, enroll in a class higher than what the result of the exam suggests if they feel that their language skills are strong and that they did poorly on the test.
For any questions about